A community-oriented art & graphic design collective. We make graphic apparel, hand-crafted accessories and produce events. And most importantly, spew randomness about important and non-important topics.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Gollywood Takeover?

I'm a big fan of Nollywood movies. I haven't watched them in a while because these days, I can't sit still to watch anything that lasts two hours or more. Before I got to my 2-hour breaking point, I slowly got tired of trying to sort through good Nollywood movies to watch. For every good one it seemed like there were six bad ones I had to weed through. I don't really mind production quality, it's the storyline that gets me going. Enter Gollywood (Ghanian Hollywood), specifically producer Shirley Frimpong-Manso whose work is putting majority of our movies to shame.

Exhibit A: Adam's Apple (Ghana)


Exhibit B: Blackberry Babes (Nigeria)


I think Emem Isong may be Nollywood's only hope, looking forward to watching her latest effort. I really do wish the good movies will be made more accessible. There is great PR for awesome Nollywood movies but they can only be watched in Silverbird Cinemas. haba!
Update: Just learned that a new movie, Damage, starring Uche Jombo is being screened in select U.K, U.S. and Canadian cities. I hope more will follow suit. Indian movies have been doing this for a long time.

No comments: