A community-oriented art & graphic design collective. We make graphic apparel, hand-crafted accessories and produce events. And most importantly, spew randomness about important and non-important topics.

Friday, September 30, 2011

BouGhettaDiaries: N'Kale's Slawlad

For years I've been gently (and life-threateningly) coerced to post recipes of food and drinks that I make. This is hard because I'm a little bit of a careless mad scientist; I generally just go with my intuition, use whatever is available and most times things come out delicious, other times an acquired taste and the a few time just downright meehhh. But usually I generally find it hard to document and then subsequently share my recipes because I make them up as I go along.

This post is dedicated to my cousin who recently requested a recipe. I have some recipes that I've managed to somewhat document but I have only shared with close friends who ask. And now I'm sharing with the world!! mauahahaha. By the way these recipes are written in a not very precise manner...you have to guess some things and do it your own way. No rigid cups or teaspoons or western-culinary-correct terms of measurement or food preparation (okay maybe a few).

No promises or anything but maybe I'll do this regularly. We'll call it the Chef BouGhetta Diaries:
Recipes from a struggling health-conscious African with a hint of Hippie and broke. Never purist. My mantra: eat more veggies, some fruit, lean proteins and whole grains and never compromise on flavor.

And here we go

nKale's Slawlad
Ingredients
  • 1 big bunch of fresh Greens (Kale or Chards work better than Mustard or Collard because these have strong tastes)
  • 1-3 fresh carrots
  • Raisins
  • almonds (or any nuts you like)
  • 1-2 each Plums, Apricots, Nectarines (firm)
  • Apples if you want or have (can be used in place of stone fruits or in addition)
Dressing
Fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
Olive Oil (about 1-2 tablespoons)
apple cider (or any fruit based) vinegar (about same amount as lemon) (you can substitute vinegar for a fruit juice that is sweet but a bit acidic i.e. pineapple/orange)
honey (about a table spoon to sweeten)
Black pepper (pinch)
Salt (pinch)

How to prepare
Julienne/Shred all the vegetables and fruits and mix in bowl
Chop nuts and add in; add in raisins
Douse with the dressing and let it sit for at least 30mins to 'cook' (longer is fine...)
It is ready when all the ingredients seem mixed in and relaxed...or the flavor of the greens is way strong


Send me a photo of you enjoying it!

-n

No comments: