A community-oriented art & graphic design collective. We make graphic apparel, hand-crafted accessories and produce events. And most importantly, spew randomness about important and non-important topics.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

White People Wonder

sigh okay.

* hater alert*

so there's this youtube video of this cute white girl 'Elyvna' dancing to coupe decale.
I've had this video posted on my FB profile page so many times, or tagged to posted links of them. There's a couple reasons for this...those who know me well enough know that I am a decale head. Like that's all I pretty much listen and dance to (although I'm moving away from that now, another story for another day).


Okay so back to the video. I'm hella mad that there's 362 comments and 113 thousand comments. Lord, okay so she's cute... she's getting it. I watched the video the first time and was like "whoa it's weird cos I think she's more of a mimic genius than a good dancer". As someone who's watched the Jessy Matador video too many time to count, I'm thinking her rhythm is a bit odd/off but her execution of the movements are spot on.

Okay so to my main point. How come when white people do something that we ('colored' folk) do everyday, then all of a sudden they become the shit for it?

Drives me crazy.

lol.. i had to get that off my chest after this convo with my friend i was like alright this is a blog post...

me: that white girl coupe decale is still 'viraling'...it's crazy
facebook doesn't really make the world that small after all
friend: I think "spreading" is an appropriate term.
me: how come my friends are still posting it...lol
friend: "viraling" doesn't make sense. clearly none of them read what you post....
me: lmao. well i'm saying so it's like i haven't posted the video
but hella people have posted and like tagged me on it, or like drawn my attn to it or post it on my page.
friend: 'cause they know you are a white girl?
me: lol mostly it's like especially now that fb is like twitter'ish
no one reads anyone's page. and i keep seeing oooh look at this awesome best dancer
friend: you should be glad that they know you are the originator of coupe decale
me: lol. as if. like there's black kids tearing it up now the white girl is famous
friend: can we get her to dance something about healthcare?
me: for real
friend: well, to be fair, i think the reason the video is intriguing is that it seems so out of place for her to be doing it and she is concentrating so hard
me: lol that's what i'm saying and you're saying but not what most pple are saying
friend: but of course there is a deeply prejudice sentiment underlying that
me: decale is still a novelty to mainstream so most people don't even have a context
to be like she's just copying not creating
friend:
you gonna attach a video comment with the real deal?
me: lmao i'm not the best decale'er...which is my point
friend: oh, I didn't mean you, someone else
me: there's whole countries of hungry African kids ripping it and we not rich enough to video them (lol)
friend: If only all those starving African kids had laptops so they'd be able to share in rich cultural exchange that is you tube...

And of course responses to this will be whatever. I'm a hater (what's new?) but it's not about the girl so much as the responders to the video. That's who I got beef with.

Uhuh,
N

No comments: