A community-oriented art & graphic design collective. We make graphic apparel, hand-crafted accessories and produce events. And most importantly, spew randomness about important and non-important topics.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Follow the Dirty Oil Money


Friends of mine have spent  a couple or years quite a while working on this: Dirty Energy Money an interactive tool that tracks the flow of oil, gas, and coal money in U.S. Congress. Using the site you can find out which energy companies are pumping their dirty money into politics and which politicians are receiving it.

And I've seen it take a few forms. I'm still trying out this website...since I have a death fear of math/ math-related info-graphics, I'm wondering if this is a site that I can get down with. Mostly I'm interested in the usability of this site by regular folks like me. People who are not so 'smart' and folks who get overwhelmed by the intricate details of numbers. Like can I just get a colorful video and some cool fashion telling me the gist of it?

But on a more serious note; the information is something that is important and people should care about; what with all the drama and craziness energy sources are causing in our lives today (indirectly or not). It's a bit sad because the we  do is complain about how much it takes for us to fill up our gas tanks. I would like for us to about this energy 'crisis' a bit deeper.

How do our lifestyle choices, our political leanings, and our business decisions play a role in the issue?

No comments: